Inspired by the Facebook group.
You know you are in the real estate business when
- You dial a phone number on the calculator app.
- Your daughter brings home straight A's and you worry that the report card won't comp out.
- You walk up to your own front door and look for a lockbox.
- You put your ATM code into the microwave.
- You answer the phone at 10pm and are surprised the person calling is surprised.
- A friend brags about a rebate they got on a car trade in/purchase and you wonder how they put it on the HUD-1.
- Someone asks how your kid is doing in school and you initially cringe at discussing a school district in any way shape or form.
- Your insert your Sentrilock card into the supermarket self checkout.
- You cram an entire day off into 4 consecutive non working hours.
- You briefly consider faxing a landscaping estimate to an attorney for approval.
- You can't find your Bluetooth- because it's in your ear.
- You leave the house for a gallon of milk without your cell phone and you feel naked.
- You bring a lawn sign car shopping to make sure the trunk will allow it to fit.
- You ponder the square footage of the Church during a boring sermon.
- When you pick up your son at a play date you notice if the house has a buried oil tank or an old roof.
- After running into an old friend you check out what their home is assessed for when you get home.
- There is at least one neighborhood or town in your market area that completely pisses you off because you've lost more than one deal there.
- There is a banker or lawyer somewhere over whose head you'd love to pour spoiled gravy.
- Your heart races when you see a For Sale By Owner.
- You are authentically astonished and grateful when a client picks up the lunch check.
- Nothing good ever happens when they say "we were thinking about it last night, and________"
- You've screamed into a pillow because someone you knew bought or sold a house without telling you.
- You've hung up the phone after a solicitation utters the words "all you need is one sale to pay for it."
- Catch-22: will calling be too pushy? Will not calling be poor follow up?
- You get home and wish someone else would make the decision for a change.
- You cringe when you recognize certain phone numbers or email addresses.
- There is a certain house in town you'll never ever forget, ever, because_________
- When everyone else screams at the TV during a game, you scream at the TV during the news.
- You ponder an idea that will transform your business as you drift off to sleep, and can't remember what the hell it was when you wake up.
- You want to ask someone why they use a photo that is almost unrecognizable with how they look today. But you don't.
- You hate meetings.
- You've been asked to move a mountain in the next hour by someone who hasn't returned your calls in 2 weeks, and they are completely serious.
- You wish you handled that appointment differently.
- You live in the question.
- Upon getting voicemail, you chide yourself for believing they might actually answer the phone.
- You've wrung your hands over your URL.
- You know what a hoarder's home smells like.
- You wish that negative guy would spend just one day watching you work, because that would teach them.
- Knowing what you know, you wonder aloud how that other person can do what they do.
- Nothing surprises you anymore. Until you get surprised again.
- You exhale when their parents tell them they should buy the house.
- You have thought or said "This isn't 1983. It isn't even 2007."
- You have been a grief counselor after showing them the comps.
- If that person can do it, dammit, you can do it.
I could go on, but I think you get the point!