I don't have any issues with For Sale By Owners. It is a free market. I equally have no issue with FSBOs who pay a fee to enter their home on the MLS and then try and act as their own listing agent. What I do have a problem with is people who distrust agents because they paint us with a broad brush in the lack of integrity department but then turn around and misrepresent themselves. That wastes my time.
Today I walked through a home which was billed as a "totally renovated home." It was not. It was an incomplete, sloppy, half finished do it yourself job of dubious quality. What I observed was a patchwork of poor workmanship, probably illegal (which is to say, no permits) "improvements" and a desk in the basement covered with indications that the owners were unskilled weekend warriors.
- Exposed wiring everywhere
- Missing molding and sloppy finishing where it wasn't missing
- An incomplete kitchen with a CURTAIN for a sink cabinet door
- An incomplete master bath
- A finished basement with a 6-foot ceiling -which couldn't be legal in their wildest dreams
- An HVAC unit in a basement closet with hanging wires and ductwork that was separated and leaning