To my way of thinking, few things make a house a home like a pet. We've rescued a few dogs in our time, and the latest is Max, pictured below. He is a purebred German Shepherd whom I rescued for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy a new puppy with papers. Westchester County has plenty of resources for pet adoption, and here are a few worth checking out:
- Elmsford Animal Shelter- We adopted Logan here in 2000. First class place.
- SPCA of Westchester- walking distance from my office
- Pet Adoption League of Lower Westchester
- Westchester Shore Humane Society
- Yonkers Animal Shelter
- Little Orphan Animals in Cortlandt Manor
- New Rochelle Humane Society
- Petfinder.com has lots of local connections and is virtually the craigslist of animal recue
- Lastly, AnimalLink.org has some really good niche organizations, such as rabbits and Ferrets.
If you are a horse person, contact me directly and I'll put you in touch with my agent Tiffany, who is connected to the horse rescue community. Horses have suffered in this economy. Tiffany is also Max's Godmother, as she found him on Petfinder.com for me. We had tragically just lost Bella (see my home page) and she was on the case.
You can also Google the type of breed you might prefer along with the term "rescue," such as Greyhound rescue or Labrador Rescue.